Monday, June 29, 2009

New York, New York It's a Helluva Town! Part Deux

What is a trip to New York City without a little shopping? Well, in my case a lot shopping. NYC is filled with oodles and oodles of places to shop 'til you drop. Uptown, Downtown, East Side, West Side, clothes are everywhere and I love it!

Some memorable places include a small store called, Taroo located in Murray Hill. The small white boutique has tons of colourful bohemian inspired pieces and exotic jewellery. Some items that I picked up there include, a bright pink peasant top with colourful embroidery and a silvery blue lightweight ruffled dress. Perfect for a summer afternoon catching a Broadway show or a lunch date.

A store that must be visited when in Manhattan has to be the Marc by Marc Jacobs Accessories store located on 385 Bleecker Street. The store that is no stranger to long line ups, bright colours and stylish sales associates is filled with affordable accessories all by Marc Jacobs. Last summer I got a purple quilted clutch and a gun metal quilted bag that was only $64. This year they had a colourful python clutch with a chain link handle that was ah-mazing for $74. It would great for a night on the town in a black blazer, hot heels and a mini skirt.

My favourite store to visit would have to be Nolita's Project 234. Carrying designers and brands such as, Yumi Kim and Plastic Island I felt welcomed by this small boutique through the warm inviting smell of pomegranate citrus and its surrounding positive energy. I was instantly taken away by the gorgeous prints of the beautiful Yumi Kim dresses. A piece that caught my eye was a purple floral silk t-shirt dress. It works perfect for day with a pair of jewelled gladiator sandals and delicate gold jewellery. It is lightweight, very comfortable and made me feel so pretty as I wore out of the store and down Bleecker Street. Another standout piece was a silk chiffon floral ruffled button-up. Worn by the store's friendly manager, this Yumi Kim design looks great with tailored shorts for a casual summer day or crisp white linen pants for work. I loved these pieces and the entire store. The music including No Doubt, Justin Timberlake and AHA's, Take on Me puts you in a relaxed, happy mood. The clothes are great for any fashionista who loves colour, print and a dash of sophistication. Project 234 located at 234 Mulberry Street is definitely a hot shopping spot to visit while in New York City!

Last but not least would have to be good 'ole H&M. I know, I know. Why go all the way to New York to shop at a store that is right here in Toronto? Well I have got to tell ya, the prices there are about $5 to $10 less than they are here and they have many different styles that are not available in Toronto. I snatched up a Chanel-inspired chain link scarf, white skinny jeans, a lightweight grey t-shirt, a red and white gingham button-up shirt (perfect for Canada Day) and studded sandals.

All in all New York City shopping was a great success. I came with a brand new summer wardrobe and a shot of some New York style!

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment