Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Take a Chance on Classic, Elegant Style: A day with fashion designer Pearl Miller

My fashionable aunt, Mona Lisa has always known where to find beautiful glamorous clothing and unique fashion finds so I was delighted when she introduced me to her longtime fashion designer friend, Pearl Miller. On a summer afternoon, I had the pleasure of attending her boutique, La Chance Boutique on 13 Charles Street West and was able to first-hand observe her ladylike dresses made of Italian and French, silk, cotton, linen and wool. Read on for more about the talented designer.

Amanda: How did you get your start as a designer?

Pearl: I always had an interest as a child (living in Jamaica). When I came to Canada I got a job with Revenue Canada and one day decided (that I needed) to quit. When looking for another job I applied for an office position with an Interior Designer in Yorkville. Through that job I was able to learn about design and fabric. 

After that I got inspired to start my own fashion line and went a bank manager who saw a nice store for me on Charles Street. The name La Chance comes from French meaning, the luck. 

A: What inspires you as a designer?

P: I always get inspired by fabric and I have always loved the fashion designer, Kenzo. I have clothes from him from 20 years ago that I still wear. Kenzo's designs are always easy and natural. With my designs, I always try to be different for example, we have reversible items.

A:What are some projects that you have worked on recently?

P: I had the opportunity to lecture at Ryerson University with wardrobe co-ordinator, Starr Jacobs.

A: What are some the services that your boutique provides?

P: Everything is made in our studio which is located in the building of our store. All of the garments are made-to-measure and we always ensure that our garments have exquisite tailoring and impeccable quality. 

Pearl Miller's dresses are reminiscent of the elegant designs of Carolina Herrera and classic approach of Michael Kors. Many of her designs include sequined or ruffled details, lots of colour and special little details. 

If you would like to take a chance in your wardrobe and get something tres elegant, you will have the best of luck in La Chance Boutique. Visit the store at 13 Charles Street West, one block south of Bloor. To call, (416)961-5216.

Bonne Chance!

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment