Monday, August 2, 2010

Chic, Clean and Fit for a Princess: When fashion meets home decorating

I have always had a creative mind and loved to beautify the world in every way that I could. From a young age, I loved wearing crazy outfits that expressed myself and often wore an array of kilts in every colour with thick knit tights and neon green with purple stripes. My love for creative expression went past my wardrobe and I also thoroughly enjoyed interior decorating. My mother always had tons of decorating magazines around the house and was a frequent viewer of Cityline and Martha Stewart Living, so the apple did not fall far from the tree. When I was younger, I always wanted a room fit for a princess, the ultimate girly room (In fact, I remember wanting to paint my walls pink and purple stripes!) and since then not much has changed.

A couple years ago I painted my room a bright coral pink and because this is the year of taking risks, I have decided that I would like to make a few more changes to my boudoir. I would like something that is a little shabby chic meets clean, modern and of course fit for a princess! The pieces that I am looking for are:

A vintage-looking nightstand
A chic lamp
Chic, feminine frames
Chic feminine chairs
A new white embroidered bed set
Throw pillows
Pretty feminine drawer linings

After a recent shopping in Manhattan's SoHO area I stumbled upon the Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic boutique, which served as the perfect source of inspiration. As soon as I walked in I absolutely loved it! Filled with cozy large couches, plush large beds with iron bed frames and vintage wooden room furniture I felt like I was in interior design heaven! I just love the warm cozy, clean, feminine vibe and that's exactly what I would like to recreate in my room. Rachel Ashwell actual designs an affordable collection at Target including affordable lampshades, nightstands and bed sets that have the same chic, cozy vibe in her SoHo boutique. One of my favourite pieces include the crystal candlestick lamp and a vintage-y nightstand. Perfect for adding that shabby chic vibe to my room.

When decorating or doing something creative I always was love to find different sources of inspiration and I found a few sites to do just that. Perfect Bound is a fellow blogspot site that features beautiful images of wedding gowns and haute couture, that remind of the perfect sunset in an English garden. I also found this great site called Fabulous Doodles, created by FIT graduate Brooke Hagel who updates her site with gorgeous fashion illustrations which help inspire the element of fashion that I want in my soon to be new and improved room.

For a more visual look at my inspirations look below and tell me, what are some of your interior design inspirations?



Enjoy!

Amanda
amandasfashionspot@gmail.com
https://twitter.com/AFSpot

No comments:

Post a Comment